Live Event Nov 14th and 15th 2020
Immune and Metabolic Health: The Root Cause and Lifestyle Medicine Approach
"The Lifestyle and Functional Medicine Conference of the Year"
What is Functional Medicine?
2018 Conference Ireland
One or Two Day Practitioner Training
The Lifestyle and Functional Medicine Conference is unlike any other conference of its kind in Ireland. We welcome clinicians, nutritional professionals, healthcare practitioners to gather together and learn from experts in the field, earn CPDs, meet your community and grow your network.
Immune and Metabolic Health
This year you’ll have the opportunity to learn about ground-breaking scientific research, explore our virtual Exhibitor Hall with innovative brands, hear inspirational case studies, observe panel discussions – all while enjoying incredible networking opportunities and reconnecting with friends in the industry via our own FMC App.
The theme for our 2020 event is Immune and Metabolic Health: The Lifestyle and Functional Medicine Approach. Our world class medical doctors and speakers travel internationally and give lectures on these areas.
The primary drivers of poor metabolic health are the daily interactions among an individual’s genetics, environment, and lifestyle choices. Good nutrition can emphasise the importance of high quality foods and phytonutrient diversity to address clinical imbalances and move individuals toward the highest expression of health.
Lifestyle and Functional Medicine practitioners focus on recognising the underlying cause for a condition and work on remedying it. Learn from our world class clinicians, researchers and educators. Whether you’re a healthcare professional, academic, or simply interested in learning about immune and metabolic health, this conference was created for YOU!
More people than ever before are struggling with a form of metabolic health concern. A study* finds, only 12 percent (of Americans) are metabolically health. The prevalence of good metabolic health is ‘alarmingly low,’ even among people who are normal weight. Only one in eight Americans is achieving optimal metabolic health. This carries serious implications for public health since poor metabolic health leaves people more vulnerable to developing Type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease and other serious health issues.
As healthcare professionals we can all play a role in bringing the research and understandings of how lifestyle and diet play a pivotal role in our health. Our mission as a conference is to help and support you make changes in your own life, within your practice and that of your community. The study
Advancing nutritional knowledge to improve health, wellbeing and community.
The goal of the event is to educate, empower and inform active healthcare practitioners and students on immune and metabolic health using evidence based medicine and innovation.
We are very excited to bring together the world’s most respected educators and thought leaders in Lifestyle and Functional Medicine to share their best practices and clinical pearls. See Disclaimer in FAQs
Our FMC online event will be virtual and highly interactive, where people come together to learn and network.
Education is fundamental to our event. We invite health professionals to engage with exhibitors from the fields of nutrition, and cutting edge testing labs via our special event platform. Invitation to our platform will be sent out 4 weeks before the event.
Watch and learn live with post event recordings from inspirational speakers and educators from the worlds of functional and lifestyle medicine, alongside meeting and networking leaders and influencers in nutrition.
Interact live with a speaker and ask questions Pre-book meetings with exhibitors once we open our event App. Avail of discounts from our Sponsors and Exhibitors.
The Most Awaited
of the Year
Our 4th Annual Lifestyle and Functional Medicine Conference was an enormous success, and we will continue to deliver.
This year, explore the inner-workings of leading educators of health, nutrition and functional medicine. Meet with fellow members of the community and healthcare attendees in an interactive setting. This years event includes lecture sessions, panel questions and answers, tasty nutritious lunches and refreshments.
FMC Ireland was absolutely outstanding – venue, speakers and content plus the food, wine and beverages provided made the exceptional value for money and I will most certainly be booking a seat at the next event in 2018 the moment I know it’s happening! Huge well done to all involved.
Amazing, inspiring speakers at the top of their game. Definitely, a yearly event to be put into the calendar. Not to be missed!
Overall brilliant event with fantastic speakers. Speakers made m to think about health and disease from a different perspective. Very motivational!
It was exhilarating being part of a group of people whose sole purpose was to educate people about nutrition.
Simply outstanding conference bringing the latest scientific, evidence-based clinical information on nutrition, lifestyle and preventative medicine to Irish healthcare professionals – delivered by expert lecturers whose ease of delivery of complex information was both highly relevant and inspirational.
1. The physiological life cycle of a pathogen inside the human body
2. How to optimise immune surveillance against viruses, bacteria and parasites
3. The role of fasting and Immune health
4. Which nutrients impact the Immune system and how to implement them successfully
5. Steroids : How to use it as an immune enhancer and not a dysregulator.
6. Can Melatonin flare up an exiting autoimmune disease?
7. Integral life style modifications to optimise your immune health
1. What is metabolic health?
2. What is value based healthcare?
3. Hormonal medicines in cancers
4. Importance of lifestyle choices in cancer
Are all supplements the same?
What’s behind the manufacturing process?
Where are raw materials sourced? What does the FSAI need to know?
Lecture material based on research from Dr Aseem Malhotra new book (released August 2020) “The 21 Day Immunity Plan”: How to rapidly improve your metabolic health and resilience to infection.
More learning objective coming July 2020
Description: There are many therapeutic dietary approaches to working with people who have immune and digestive issues. It’s difficult to know which approach to take. This lecture will focus on current research and the clinical thought process to provide for the best therapeutic benefit. We’ll use the DIGIN model to explore when it’s best to use the FODMAP diet, Specific Carbohydrate Diet, 6-food Elimination Diet, Comprehensive Elimination Diet, Paleo-Immune, Elemental Diet, or a restorative diet for people who have several maldigestion or malabsorption.
1. Delegate will be able to more easily discern which dietary plan may provide the best therapeutic outcome for a specific patient.
2. Utilise root cause issues to determine recommendations
3. Gain practical skills and tools to utilize in a clinical setting.
1. Underlying causes of Inflammation and its impact on body organs
2. What leads to Chronicity and how to prevent that?
3. Basic Concepts for Disease Resolution versus Autoinflammation.
4. Using Botanicals to resolve inflammation and reverse healing by fibrosis and scarring
5. Is there a “too late” scenario ?
6. The Definition of Metabolic Flexibility and its impact on life span
7. How to test and Fix your Metabolic flexibility now!
1. Describe and define human multi-system resilience and explain its importance in relation to functional health, wellbeing and disease prevention, including in the context of the current Covid pandemic
2. Identify biomarkers and surrogates for the assessment of an individual’s resilience, especially in relation to immune, metabolic, neuroendocrine and psycho-social health
3. Identify behavioural change, dietary, therapeutic and environmental protocols and strategies that can help build an individual’s multi-system resilience
Dr Sharkey will share the known mechanisms of how stress suppresses the effectiveness of our immune system and introduce you to the self-help tool he most often gives his patients to reverse such effects.
1. To understand the concept of evidence based medicine
2. What are the benefits and harms of statins and how can this information be used in shared decision making
3. What is the best evidence on lifestyle interventions in the prevention and treatment of heart disease
Afternoon Break – Meet exhibitors and sponsors
• Identify the overall impact that nutrition has on immune function
• Review the components of the innate immune response that enable the body to defend itself against potential threats and repair it from injury.
• Examine the molecular mechanisms by which nutrients and botanicals can modulate the immune response
• Explore the role of diet and nutrients and botanicals in restoring healthy immune function in preventing and treating infection & chronic disease
FMC Annual Conference
Join Our Tribe
Sign up to our list and stay connected
Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I get a certificate?
Yes you receive a Certification of Attendance from The Functional Medicine Conference Limited Organisation.
Who can attend the two day practitioner training?
The Lifestyle and Functional Medicine conference is for healthcare practitioners who are already qualified in a core discipline and applicants/attendees must be a graduate of an accredited medical, naturopathic, dietetics, osteopathic, chiropractic, homeopathic, acupuncture, pharmacy, physiotherapy or nutritional therapy programme. If you have any doubts you may contact us to discuss your case [email protected] See next question if you are a student. Previous training in functional medicine is desirable but not essential. A good understanding of the role nutrition plays in health is also helpful.
I am student ( medicine / nutrition / science ) or member of the public, can I attend the practitioner day?
We welcome all students of a healthcare related field. If you are a member or a the public or a patient advocate please email [email protected]
What course material will I receive?
You will receive downloadable copies of all the slides in a PDF format, audio recording (after 1 month). The speakers and FMC retains copyright over the slides, and therefore these are for personal use, and may not be repurposed for commercial activities.
How many practitioners should I expect for 2020?
In previous years we hosted between 200-300 practitioners. However due to CoVid restrictions and DOH guidelines, we are adhering to a the social distancing limit, which reduces the number of delegate to 130 each day at 1m social distancing. *However this may change and see below for HSE guidelines
Notes for Non Irish Practitioners
If you are planning to attend from other countries outside Ireland please discuss with your national registering body if they are prepared to accept a cross transfer of self-accredited CPD credits and or the Nutritional Therapy of Ireland (NTOI).
CPD Credits are provided from:
- Nutritional Therapists of Ireland (NTOI).
- Others, as required, will be considered.
- Nutritional Therapists: CPD Credits have been applied for from the Nutritional Therapists of Ireland (NTOI).
- Naturopaths: Please contact your own registering board to ascertain if these recognising authorities are compatible.
- Nursing Professionals: Please contact your own registering board to ascertain if these recognising authorities are compatible
Can I purchase a single day ticket?
Yes, for the first year we are now offering one day ticket option only subject to availability.
Can I change my single day ticket to the other day?
Yes you can change you Day ticket to the other day based upon availability and pay price difference.
Can I upgrade my single day ticket to a two day ticket?
Yes you may upgrade your one day ticket to a two day, based upon availability and pay price difference (rate at time of confirmation request).
I can not attend both days however can I purchase a two day ticket and avail of the audio recordings after?
If you are within the 14 day cooling off period, we will refund 100% of ticket price at time of purchase within 14 days. See https://www.fmcireland.com/terms/ for cancellation after cooling off period.
Full Terms and Cancellation
Please click here for full terms
What is the nearest international airport to the 2020 event?
Our event for 2020 is hosted from Galway, our nearest airports are Shannon, Dublin or Knock Airport.
Can my company sponsor the event?
Yes. We have limited availability in our Exhibition Hall. Please email [email protected] to request our Sponsorship Prospectus
What sort of measure are FMC taking in light of CoVid-19 Guidelines
FMC and The Galway Bay Hotel are adhering to the Irish CoVid-19 events and hospitality guidelines to ensure a safe and successful event. For FMC its important we implement successful regulations to ensure the event moves forward as we bring people together, to learn and to network.
- Attendees will need to pre-book and pre-register to attend events.
- Contactless registration systems – reduces waiting times and limit contact between organisers and guests
- Entrance to event and conference space may be staggered to reduce queuing and overall capacity will be limited to ensure social distancing can be maintained.
- Event will be planned around one way systems for delegates
- Spaces between exhibition booths and delegate seats will be increased and aisles widened to achieve social distancing requirements
- FMC may operate two lecture halls/ tracks to ensure we meet the guidelines for indoor gatherings.
- Venue will also have enhanced cleaning procedures, with hand washing and sanitising facilities at frequent intervals.
- Face Masks we are following the HSE guidelines – see here. However if you have any underlying conditions or a medical waiver you are exempt.
Disclaimer: the information shared on this site and at the conference is for educational purposes only. Information shared is not intended to serve as a substitute for a diagnosis, advice or treatment from a qualified licensed medical professional. Any diet, health or nutritional protocol you undertake should be discussed with your primary healthcare provider or other licensed medical professional.